How do I contact you?


or call 403-266-5382 or toll free at

Can I view my investment account

Yes you can, please contact
to obtain access. We will provide you with a logon
ID and temporary password, along with instructions on how to access
your accounts through our secure client site.

I have misplaced my statement/tax
receipt, where can I obtain a duplicate copy?

Please contact us with the specifics of your request. Duplicate copies
can generally be obtained within 2-3 business days.

I want to open a new account, what
is the process?

For existing clients: Access our
secure client site (if you are logged in, you are already there).
Under Client Access choose “Requisition Forms” “Add Investment
Account”. We will take care of everything for you and contact you
once the documentation is ready for signature.

For new clients: Please contact us to set up a meeting with one of our Private Wealth

How do I change my name/address?

Complete and sign this
form with your new address and instructions on which
accounts are involved, for name changes please provide relevant legal
documentation (marriage certificate etc). Then simply email
or mail it to

Qtrade's Form

TD's Form

How do I transfer
funds from my bank account to my Cornerstone investment account?

If your custodian
is Qtr
and you have online banking

with your Financial Institution

you can transfer cash to any of your investment accounts from your
bank account.  When you are logged into
banking simply add Qtrade to your list of
add a new payee or
, search
for Qtrade Investor Inc and add your account number

clients with TD as a custodian cannot make intermittent transfers,
however both TD and Qtrade can facilitate automatic (monthly, weekly
etc.) transfers, please 
contact us to set this up. 

If you are unsure
of your account number please email
or call 403-266-5360 us to confirm.  You do not want to
accidentally make an RRSP contribution when you meant to make a TFSA

Can I buy and sell stock in my account?

Cornerstone is not a discount broker, we are a full service discretionary money management firm. However, many of our clients have securities that they would like to retain, due to taxes or whatever, or they choose to trade certain securities. Though it is not our mandate, Cornerstone can facilitate these activities - often with lower transaction costs than you might pay in a brokerage account.

What is a DRIP?

A DRIP or dividend reinvestment program is a plan offered by a corporation or fund that allows investors to reinvest their cash dividends by purchasing additional shares, fractional shares or fund units on the dividend payment date. Cornerstone can facilitate these programs in your account.

What is a TFSA?

Launched in 2009, a TFSA or Tax Free Savings Account is a flexible, registered, general purpose savings account that allows Canadians to earn tax-free investment income. The TFSA complements existing registered savings plans like the Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP) and the Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP). Canadian residents age 18 or older can contribute up to $5,000 annually to a TFSA. For more information on a TFSA contact us or refer to CRA’s website

What types of accounts do you have?

At Cornerstone we offer non-registered accounts, including cash and margin accounts (with option availability), as well as all registered accounts including RRSP, spousal RRSP, RRIF, TFSA, and RESP. We also offer Trust and Corporate accounts, as well as IPPs. In other words, all available types of investment accounts.

If I open a TFSA this year, have I lost the contribution room from previous years?

Since January 1, 2009, Canadian residents who are 18 years of age or older with a valid SIN are eligible to contribute up to $5,000 annually to a TFSA. Unused TFSA contribution room is carried forward and accumulates in future years.

What is my RRSP contribution limit?

For the taxation year ending 2011 the maximum contribution limit is $22,450.00 (and is a function of your taxable income). However, if you did not use all of your RRSP deduction limit for the years 1991-2010, you can carry forward unused contributions to 2011. Therefore, your RRSP deduction limit for 2011 may be more than $22,450.00 Please refer to line (A) of the RRSP Deduction Limit Statement, on your latest notice of assessment or notice of reassessment.

What custodian do you use?

We currently utilize two custodians, TDWIS and Qtrade.

What fees do I pay on my account? 

Cornerstone Investment Counsel charges an annual management fee based on the size of your assets under management. We do not charge any additional fees to manage your account. Click here for more information 

How do I transfer my accounts to Cornerstone?

Contact us. We believe that the decision to transfer your accounts has been hard enough, the process shouldn’t be.

How long does it take to transfer an account from another FI? 

Once all the applicable documentation has been executed, the transfer time is typically 2-3 weeks. This of course can vary depending on the type of transfer (in kind or in cash).

Do I have to sign a form every time I want to withdraw funds?

Yes, you are the only one who can authorize a withdrawal from your account, (though regular withdrawals can be set up to be automatic).


Join The Network

facebook linkedin

For more information on Financial or Estate Planning, please see:


We adhere strictly to specific parameters to maintain reliable asset class exposures. Our portfolio managers have no discretion to purchase stocks that do not meet these parameters, and no financial incentive exists for them to deviate from our very specific disciplines. -DFA

User login